Hiring the Abbey Field Centre
The Abbey Field Centre is available for hire around the Mercury Theatre’s rehearsal and community programme. The building is available for community, business and creative use. The building is suitable for:
- Meetings and conferences
- Rehearsals (note: the space is not equipped with a dance floor)
- Events and parties
- Exercise and some sporting activities (not ball sports)
The Abbey Field Centre’s hours of operation are 8am-12am, seven days per week, and it is hired under specific terms and conditions.
The building is not licensed for public performance or the sale of alcohol – you will need to obtain a temporary event licence from Colchester Borough Council for selling alcohol.
- Male and Female WCs, and an accessible WC
- Six parking spaces reserved on-site for users of the Abbey Field Centre, plus three accessible / blue badge spaces
- Up to 100 chairs and 10 tables (6ft long)
- High-speed Wifi
- A basic AV system including projector and amplification
Note: The building contains a Mercury Theatre office. Staff may be present, and using the shared facilities (toilet, kitchen, parking) during your hire.
A caretaker will let you into the space and lock up when you leave. They will not be on site for the duration of your hire. You will need to ensure you have your own first aid provision whilst in the building.
All rates cover the hire of the entire building, with the exception of the building office which may be staffed by Mercury Theatre staff at any time.
- £75 +VAT per hour or £500 + VAT per day (8 hours between 8am – 10pm)
- £50+ VAT per hour discount rate available to individual hirers or organisations with a main address registered in the CO2 7 postcode area, registered charities registered anywhere within the administrative boundaries of Colchester Borough Council, or Mercury Theatre Associate Artists / alumni of the Mercury’s Early Career Training Programme
Additional hours charged at hourly rate.
A security deposit of £300 is payable in advance, and will be returned (minus any repair or additional cleaning costs) within ten working days of the hire or, by mutual agreement, at the end of a series of regular hires. Deposit must be paid 30 days before the hire commences, by BACS or card.
- Self-operated PA System (1 x I pod input, 1 x microphone): £25 + VAT per day
- Projector & Pop-up Screen: £25 + VAT per day
- Caretaker out of hours: £15 + VAT per hour
All hires are subject to our Terms and Conditions.
How to Hire
First – Check the availability of the space.
Then, if the space is available, complete our online booking form below.