National treasure and multi-award-winning actor Robert Lindsay is the most recent high-profile public figure to announce his support for Mercury Rising – our £1.7m fundraising campaign to modernise and transform the Mercury Theatre.
As someone who started their career in regional theatre before my film and television career, I am hugely supportive of the planned development at the Mercury Theatre. I am confident that this will bring more opportunity and cultural lifelines to many individuals and aspiring creatives within the local and regional area. Improved and additional facilities will elevate the reputation of the theatre itself and put the town on the map for professional companies, performers and visitors. The improved facilities will allow and inspire more people to join in, watch, or help create what is set to be a fantastic and vital hub for the education and well-being of our community. To support something that offers real benefits and vision for future generations of artists and those that will be entertained is a pleasure and a necessity.
Robert’s support follows that of musical theatre star and Radio 2 presenter, Michael Ball.
Mercury Rising is an exciting project that will modernise and transform our much-loved theatre, safeguarding its future for the whole community. Our planned improvements include:
- Transforming the foyer so it’s a bigger, lighter space which is open all day
- Redeveloping the main auditorium with extra seats
- Making all areas fully accessible for the first time
- Creating a new café where you can work and meet friends
- Building completely new rehearsal and community spaces equipped to support the best new talent
- Revamping and extending our backstage facilities so we can make even better theatre
We’ve already raised a fantastic £7m thanks to support from Arts Council England, Colchester Borough Council and Essex County Council. But we have £1.7m left to raise.