Mercury Playwrights in association with Josef Weinberger Plays
The Mercury Theatre and Josef Weinberger Ltd have joined forces once again to nurture and grow the very best writing talent from the East of England in their exciting new playwriting development programme.
Mercury Playwrights Development Programme
We are thrilled to be joining forces once again with our friends at Josef Weinberger Plays to present an exciting new playwriting development programme, designed to nurture and grow new creative talent in the East of England.
Over the next 9 months, Mercury Playwrights in association with Josef Weinberger Plays will support a group of new writers, to guide and mentor them through the process of creating their own full-length play or piece of theatre.
Participants will meet online once a month from June 2020 through to February 2021. These monthly sessions will led by award-winning writer Kenny Emson and will take writers through a two-draft process with one-to-one dramaturgy support.
We are looking for fresh new voices, writers who are bold, ambitious and theatrically daring. To ensure we tell the most dynamic and varied stories, we are particularly keen to hear from writers who are underrepresented in this industry whether this be by class, disability, ethnicity, gender or sexuality.
Together with Josef Weinberger Plays, it is our mission raise playwrights of tomorrow.
How to Apply
We ask all applicants to:
- Send us 5 pages of your best writing for stage. This could be a short play, a monologue, a scene or scenes from a longer play, or the beginning of a play you would like to develop.
- State your connection with the East of England – applicants must be from or currently reside in this area to take part.
- Provide us with a high-res headshot & bio.
- Provide a short statement of 200-250 words explaining why you would like to take part.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Friday 5 June 2020
Rules and Guidelines
- Submissions must be no longer than 5 pages. We cannot accept full-length scripts.
- Submissions should be written in a legible font or typeface and attached to your email as PDF or Word Document files only.
- We can only accept one script per writer.
- The Mercury can only accept original work.
- Your name and contact details should appear on the title page only (this ensures your anonymity during the reading process)
- Applicants must be from or currently reside in the East of England.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
- The Mercury will formally acknowledge all script submissions.
- All scripts will be read in full by the Mercury and an assembled panel of readers.
- All submissions will be given due consideration, but, regretfully, we cannot provide feedback on every script.
- Selected applicants will be notified by Thursday 11th June 2020.
Should you have any queries about these guidelines, please email email@example.com
If you would like to be part of this programme, you must be free to attend an initial Zoom meeting on the morning of Friday 12 June 2020, and all nine workshops. These will take place via Zoom online on:
- Thurs 18th June – PM
- Thurs 16th July – PM
- Thurs 20th August – PM
- Thurs 17th September – PM
- Thurs 15th October – PM
- Thurs 19th November – PM
- Thurs 17th December – PM
- Thurs 21st Jan 2021 – PM
- Thurs 25th Feb 2021 – PM