Over the next 9 months, Mercury Playwrights in association with Josef Weinberger Plays will support a group of writers, to guide and mentor them through the process of creating their own full-length play or piece of theatre.
Participants will meet once a month from June 2021 through to February 2022. These monthly sessions will be led by award-winning writer Kenny Emson and will take writers through a two-draft process with one-to-one dramaturgy support.
Throughout the programme, Kenny will also be joined by an exciting list of guest writers.
The Mercury are looking for fresh new voices, writers who are bold, ambitious and theatrically daring. To ensure they tell the most dynamic and varied stories, they are particularly keen to hear from writers who are underrepresented in this industry whether this be by class, disability, ethnicity, gender or sexuality.
How to apply
We ask you to:
• Be over the age of 18
• Provide a short statement of 200-250 words explaining why you would like to take part.
• Send 5 pages of your best writing for stage. This could be a short play, a monologue, a scene or scenes from a longer play, or the beginning of a play you would like to develop.
• Tell us about your connection with the East of England – applicants must be from or currently reside in this area to take part.
• Provide a high-res headshot and bio.
• Submit an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, found below.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 29 April 2021
Rules & Guidelines
• Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
• Submissions must be no longer than 5 pages.
• Submissions should be written in a legible font or typeface and attached to email as PDF or Word Document files only.
• We can only accept one script per writer.
• We can only accept original work.
• Name and contact details should appear on the title page only (this ensures your anonymity during the reading process)
• Applicants must be from or currently reside in the East of England. East of England includes Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
• The Mercury will formally acknowledge all script submissions.
• All scripts will be read in full by the Mercury and an assembled panel of readers.
• All submissions will be given due consideration, but, regretfully, we cannot provide feedback on every script.
• All applicants will be notified at the start of June
• Selected Mercury Playwrights will attend monthly in-person/online sessions that will be organised in keeping with the latest government guidelines.
Successful applicants will be asked to attend an initial Zoom meeting on the morning of Friday 4th June.
All nine workshops will be held online/ at the Mercury Theatre on:
• Tues 8 Jun– PM
• Tues 13 Jul – PM
• Tues 10 Aug – PM
• Tues 14 Sept – PM
• Tues 12 Oct – PM
• Tues 9 Nov – PM
• Tues 14 Dec – PM
• Tues 18 Jan 2022 – PM
• Tues 15 Feb 2022 – PM
If you have any questions, please get in touch: email@example.com.