Over the next 9 months Mercury Directors will support a group of five people, to guide and mentor them through the page to stage directing process. Participants will meet once a month from June 2021 through to February 2022. and these monthly sessions will led by Ailin Conant of Theatre Temoin.
Throughout the programme Ailin will be joined by an exciting list of guest directors.
How to apply
We will ask you to:
• Be over the age of 18
• Provide a short statement of 200-250 words explaining why you would like to take part.
• Submit a document of no more than 2 pages of A4 using a play you would like to direct , putting together a brief summary of the idea, including how you might like to stage your production, the style of theatre you want to use, elements of design , movement, sound or music. You can include images or other reference points which will help us understand your idea.
• Tell us about your connection with the East of England – applicants must be from or currently live in this area to take part.
• Provide a high-res headshot and bio.
• Submit an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form found below.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 4 May 2021
Mercury Directors will benefit from:
• A monthly workshop with Ailin Conant, exploring staging techniques and rehearsal processes, developing individual artistic styles and practices.
• Participation in a number of directing masterclasses, led by industry respected directors.
• Mentoring, rehearsal shadowing and pitching opportunities.
• Sessions with Mercury’s Creative Director, Ryan McBryde.
• Free tickets and special invitations to some Mercury events.
• Invitations to collaborate with other organisations in the East of England.
• Support from the Mercury Team to develop ideas to be considered for future programming.
If you have any questions, please get in touch: email@example.com.
Rules & Guidelines
• Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
• Applicants must be from or currently live in the East of England. The East of England includes Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
• The Mercury will formally acknowledge all submissions.
• All submissions will be read in full by the Mercury and an assembled panel .
• All submissions will be given due consideration, but, regretfully, we cannot provide feedback.
• All applicants will be notified at the start of June.
• Selected Mercury Directors will attend monthly in-person/online sessions that will be organised in-keeping with the latest government guidelines.
Successful applicants swill be asked to attend an initial Zoom meeting on the morning of Friday 4th June.
All nine workshops will be held online or at the Mercury Theatre on:
• Tues 8 Jun – PM
• Tues 13 Jul – PM
• Tues 10 Aug – PM
• Tues 14 Sept – PM
• Tues 12 Oct – PM
• Tues 9 Nov – PM
• Tues 14 Dec – PM
• Tues 18 Jan 2022 – PM
• Tues 15 Feb 2022 – PM